Mrs Towse (Head of Department)
GCSE Health and Social Care: Single Award presents students with a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study and allows them to gain an insight into related Health and Social Care disciplines. It prepares them to make informed decisions about future learning opportunities and career choices. This is a two year course.
Internal assessment: Three controlled assessment tasks 60%
External assessment. Format: 1 hour 30 minutes examination. Short-answer questions, structured questions and questions that require extended writing are included. All questions are compulsory. 40%
GCSE Health and Social Care: Double Award presents students with a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study and allows them to gain an insight into related health and social care disciplines. It prepares them to make informed decisions about future learning opportunities and career choices.
In this Double Award course in Health and Social Care, students can be awarded grades A*A*–GG, with A*A* being the highest. For students who fail to attain a grade GG, we report their results as unclassified (UU).
Key Stage 5
Breda Academy offers Key stage 5 students the option of studying a Single Award or Double Award qualification. SA students will be awarded ONE A level grade at the end of this two year course and DA students will be awarded TWO A level grades. The course includes portfolio and exam based units.
This specification aims to encourage students to:
- Develop their interest in health, social care and early years;
- Draw together different areas of knowledge, skills and understanding;
- Apply their skills to work-related scenarios;
- Develop advanced study skills that help them prepare for third level education;
- Develop knowledge and understanding relevant to degrees in nursing, allied health professions, social sciences, social policy, social work and early years;
- Develop skills, altitudes and values for employment in mental health, social care and early years sectors.
Who should be interested in Health and Social Care?
Students with an interest in one of the caring professions including midwifery, nursing, home help, early years, creche work and teaching should consider this subject at KS4 and KS5.